Saturday 4 April 2009

Jade's funeral

I was a little surprised when I turned on the TV at lunchtime to find BBC News carrying live coverage of Jade's funeral, even though I shouldn't have been - our final chance to see every aspect of her life being broadcast.

I've been sceptical about Jade's personal faith, but reading the text of the sermon preached at her funeral I take it back - the vicar who knew Jade best in these last few weeks is quite clear that Jade genuinely turned to Jesus as she faced death. I hope the wider church is ready to welcome all those who come through its doors in the coming weeks and months asking the same questions as Jade.

For the text of the sermon go to: http://www.chelmsford.anglican.org/jade-goodys-life-celebrated-at-buckhurst-hill-church.html and then pick up that dusty copy of the Bible, turn to Luke's Gospel, read it for yourself (it will only take about an hour - same as an episode of Big Brother) and make your own decision.

No comments: